Introducing Campaign Segments – for Follow Up Messages
Posted on Tuesday, May 14th, 2013.
Mobilize Mail’s Campaign Segments feature provides you with the ability resend a message to recipients who may have not taken a particular action off the message first time round. The campaign segments are links in an eDM (email message) and when you set up the delivery of the initial eDM send you can select which campaign segments you want to use to filter subscribers based on what action they take off the first eDM send. You can also set the day/time of delivery to all subscribers based on your filter e.g. send to all subscribers who did not click a link.
For example if you would like to send an email to all subscribers who did not open up your last newsletter email, or all subscribers who opened the newsletter email but did not click any links then Campaign Segments are for you.
Campaign Segments provide the following “Rule Filters”
|Filter Rule||What it does|
|Campaign Was Opened||The filter locates all subscribers who opened the selected email message.|
|Campaign Was Opened – Any Link Clicked||The filter locates all subscribers who opened the selected email message AND clicked any link within the email message.|
|Campaign Was Opened – Specific Link Clicked/Not Clicked||The filter locates all subscribers who opened the selected email message AND clicked a specific link within the email message.|
|Campaign Was Opened – Specific Link Clicked/Not Clicked – Subscriber Field||The filter locates all subscribers who opened the selected email message AND clicked a specific link within the email message. The specific link is within a subscriber field. Please contact support for more help on this option.|
|Campaign Was Opened – No Link Clicked||The filter locates all subscribers who opened the selected email message AND no link was clicked.|
|Campaign Was Not Opened||The filter locates all subscribers who did not open the selected message.|
|Campaign Was Not Opened By Date||The filter locates all subscribers who did not open the selected message within xN number of days after being sent the email message.|
An Example of how Powerful Campaign Segments can be
As an example lets say you want to send an email message to your subscribers that contains a link to a customer satisfaction survey. You are aware that many subscribers do not read all their emails or take immediate action especially when it involves completing a survey so you make a note to resend the same email to all subscribers who did not click the link to the online survey.
So how can you work out which subscribers did not click on the link? A hard way would be to use the statistics and manually remove the subscribers who clicked on the link but when you deal with more than a few hundred subscribers you can spend hours on the task.
This is where Mobilize Mail’s Campaign Segments comes into its own.
You create a Campaign Segment selecting the initial email to filter on. Select the “Rule Filter” -> Campaign Was Opened – Specific Link Clicked/Not Clicked – then from the list provided of all non-system links within that email select the survey link and the open “Not Clicked” option. This means the Campaign Segment will locate all subscribers who did not click on that link within the initial email message.
Once you have created the Campaign Segment you can copy the initial email and instead of selecting a Mailing List select the Campaign Segment you created to send the reminder email message to.
How to Create a Campaign Segment
First of all the email message you will apply the Campaign Segment to must have been sent already to subscribers.
1. From the main menu click the “Messages” icon.
2.To create a Campaign Segment click the “Campaign Segments” icon.
3. The Campaign Segments management page will be displayed listing all the existing Campaign Segments within your account. Click the “Add Campaign Segment” button located at the bottom of the page.
4. On the next page enter in a name for the Campaign Segment. Note: this is for your personal reference only.
5. Select the email message from the list provided that the Campaign Segment will apply to. Then click the “Add” button.
6. The next page will display the “Rule Filter” wizard that allows you to build your campaign segment.
7. From the list of Rule Filters select the rule that best applies to what subset of subscribers you want from the subscriber list that was sent the initial email message. Then click the “Add Rule” button.
8. The Rule Filter will be added to the Campaign Segment. Click the “Save & Refresh Count” button to have the system provide you with the current count of subscribers who meet this Rule Filter.
9. We only recommend one Rule Filter per Campaign Segment as you may find that adding more than one Rule Filter will cancel out other Rule Filters in the segment.
How to Use a Campaign Segment
Now that you have created a Campaign Segment you can select the Campaign Segment as you would a mailing list to send an email message to your subscribers. If you select a Campaign Segment when sending an email message the system will use the Rule Filter within your Campaign Segment to locate all subscribers that will receive the email message.
The Campaign Segments appear within the “Select Recipients” tab of the email message wizard.
How to create a Campaign Segment from within an Email Message
If you would like to have an email message resent to a subset of subscribers at a later date then you can create a “Follow Up” email within an existing email message you are going to send. What the “Follow Up” feature does is create a Campaign Segment for you automatically then create a copy of the current email message and schedule the sending for a later date.
This feature removes the manual process described above to create a Campaign Segment and use it within an email message.
To create a “Follow Up” email follow the steps below.
1. When you are about to send an email message click the “Delivery” tab and locate the “Follow Up Settings” section and click the “Create Follow Up Email Message after send?” option. This will present the “Follow Up” wizard.
2. Fill in the details within this section.
2.1. When to send the Follow Up Email? – select the date and time for the Follow Up email to be sent.
2.2. Subject Heading for Follow Up Email – the subject heading for the Follow Up email.
2.3. Rule Filter – select the Rule Filter that you would like applied to the subscribers who will be sent the current email and will receive the Follow Up email.
Thats it! When the initial email is sent to the subscribers the system will create a copy of the initial email, create a Campaign Segment based on the selection in the “Follow Up Settings” section and schedule the Follow Up email to send at the date/time you selected.
Please contact us to set up Campaign Segments with you on one of your eDMs so you know how to do it. [email protected]