How to create an email message using an email template
Posted on Tuesday, January 8th, 2013.
To create an email message using an existing email template follow the steps below:
1. Log into your account.
2. From the main menu click the “Messages” icon.
3.To create an email message using an existing email template click the “Create Message with Template” icon.
4. The next page will display the current email templates within your account. To view the template click the magnifying glass icon that appears when you hover your mouse over the email template.
5. To select the email template to use for the email message click the “Select” button that appears when you hover your mouse over the email template.
6. The next page will display the “content” section of the email message with the email template already added to the message editor.
7. Add in the correct subject heading for the email message and edit the email message content within the message editor.
8. Once the HTML email message has been created you can either click the “Copy Text” button located directly underneath the HTML message editor to have the system extract the text out of the HTML message and add it to the text version of the message or you can add in the text version yourself. NOTE: the “Copy Text” feature cannot get an exact copy of the formatting of the HTML message so you will need to check the text version generated and format where necessary.
9. Once the HTML and text versions of the email message have been created it is recommended to send a test message to view the email as your subscribers would see it. To send a test message enter in the email addresses (each email address must be separated by a “,”) into the “Sent Test Message” text box located at the bottom of the page. The system will also provide any existing email addresses that have been sent test email messages in the drop down list. To select an existing message select the email address – the system will add the selected email address to the send test message message box. Once the required email addresses have been added click the “Send Test” button to send each email address a copy of the email message.
10. To run a SPAM report on the content of the message click the “Check for Spam” button located at the bottom of the page. The system will then analyze the email message HTML and text versions for any words or phases that could trigger anti-SPAM filters. A report will be presented after the analysis.
11. Once you are happy with the content of the email message click the “Next” button located at the button of the page.
12. The next page displays the current mailing lists and associated segments within your account. You can select all or some mailing lists and segments to send the email message to. Once you have selected the required mailing lists and/or segments click the “Next” button. NOTE: if a subscriber has been subscribed to more than one mailing list within your account and you have selected more than one mailing list to send the email message to – the subscriber will only receive the message once regardless if the subscriber is subscribed to more than one of the selected mailing lists.
13. The next page will display the scheduling options for the email message as well as some additional options. The page separated into 5 sections.
A. Email Message Settings – this section displays the subject heading of the email message and the senders details.
B. Mailing Lists & Segments – this section displays the selected mailing lists and/or segments to receive the email message.
C. Email Scheduling Settings – this section allows you to either send the email message ASAP or schedule the email message to be sent at a later date/time. To send the email message ASAP click the “Yes, send my email campaign now” option. To schedule the email message to be sent at a later date/time make sure the “Yes, send my email campaign now” option is not selected then select the date and time to send the message within the “Send my email campaign on” section.
If you would like to receive an email from the system when the email has started sending and another email when the email sending has completed click the “Yes, notify the owner of the list(s) when sending starts and ends.” option and either select an existing email address from the selection provide or enter in a new email address.
D. Advanced Settings – To have the system track the opens and clicks of subscribers for email message statistics select the “Yes, track opening of HTML emails” and “Yes, track all links in this email campaign” options. To use UTM tags select the “Yes, track my campaign using Google Analytics” and enter in the campaign and source values. The UTM tags will be appended to every link within the email message. The “Social Media Tags” section accepts a URL for the image that is displayed in some social networks such as Facebook when posting. NOTE: the image that the URL points to must be publicly accessible. The description accepts 1-2 sentences that are displayed with the post.
E. Follow Up Settings – The Follow Up feature provides the ability to resend the message to a subset of the subscribers at a later date. The subset of subscribers is generated for the Follow Up email by applying a “Filter Rule” to the subscriber list. The current options for Filter Rules are:
Campaign Was Opened – subscribers who opened the email.
Campaign Was Opened – Any Link Clicked – Subscribers who clicked any link within the email.
Campaign Was Opened – Specific Link Clicked/Not Clicked – Subscribers who clicked on a specific link within the email.
Campaign Was Opened – No Link Clicked – Subscribers who opened the email but did not click on any link within the email.
Campaign Was Not Opened – Subscribers who did not open the email.
Campaign Was Not Opened By Date – Subscribers who did not open the campaign after xN days.
The Follow Up section allows you to set the subject heading of the Follow Up email (the message content is the same as the current email you are sending), and when the Follow Up email is to be sent.
F. Autoresponder Settings – if you would like the email message converted into an autoresponder after the email message has been sent select the “Convert Message into AR after send?” and configure the settings – see more on autoresponders here.
14. Once the scheduling options have been configured click the “Schedule my Email Campaign” button to add the email message to the systems sending queue. If you want to save this message as a draft and come back later click the “Save as Draft” button.